Monday, March 10, 2014

Tour de Paris


Saturday

The River Seine is considered Paris' lifeblood. Flowing east to west, I was told as a visitor that a stroll along its banks is a great way to discover the city. I found endless hidden and unexpected havens - such as houseboats-turned-bars and rentable glass pods equipped with a game table and bean bag chair for a quiet escape with a view of the river - not to mention almost every major landmark.
  
I started by crossing Pont-Neuf, the city's oldest bridge dating back to 1576, onto lle de la Cite to see Notre Dame and Palace de Justice. Then I continued west along the Left Bank, stopping on occasion to look through the wares of the antique street booksellers. On my right I passed by the Louvre then on past the Musee d'Orsay. I kept going until I reached the Eiffel Tower.
  
I am excited to share the noteworthy sights as I saw them during my Saturday stroll:
 
I arrived at Notre Dame Cathedral via the Paris metro: Saint Michel station on RER B line.
 

A lovely reminder that I am in European territory now. And, Yes, thank you, I'll take one of those and the Cabby Drivers Hat please.
 
With such sunny weather people fled to the banks of the Seine this weekend. The quais along the river were transformed into the most popular picnic spot in town, and open bottles of wine were everywhere.
 
Apparently couples hand a padlock on the Pont des Arts bridge and throw the key into the water to symbolize their love. Awwww isn't that just precious.  
 
Velib' is the city's bicycle sharing system, with an average daily ridership of 90,000.
 
Just a reminder that I heart Oregon, guys.
 
Saturdays are for pulling on neon garb and joining others in Zumba dance on the Seine.
 
Finally arrived at the Eiffel Tower where I rested in the grass for an hour or two before heading home by way of metro.
 
 
Sunday
 
Took a Sabbath and enjoyed some of my first purchases in France.
 
 
Monday
 
I returned to the Luxemburg Gardens today, this time with Cece in tow. And oh me oh my I'd take that kind of fun every day.
 
The southwest corner of this Renaissance garden is devoted to kids, including acres of slides and swings. We paid 1,50 Euro to enter and my espresso was another euro; but watching Little Bean run herself ragged… priceless. There’s even a hundred-year-old puppet theater run by a crotchety old man. And, of course, the famous carousel.
 
Hours of fun at Jardin du Luxembourg.
 
Followed by a pre-dinner snooze upon returning home.
 
So many reasons to rejoice in the days that the Lord has made!
Colossians 1:20-22    Psalm 111:9
 
 

 
 


 

 

 

 
 
 

 

 

 

4 comments:

  1. You are a fabulous photographer. You really capture the essence of each experience. Easy for us to follow along after you. CeCe is a doll!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all of your feedback, momma! CeCe is a doll, isn't she? And I will add, one of the best travel companions.

      Delete
  2. I second your mother on all accounts! The photos are just fantastic.

    ReplyDelete