Friday, March 7, 2014

Visit to Jardin du Luxembourg

 
 
My working hours are unique because the V family's work schedule is based on Eastern Standard Time. In France this translates to work late/rise late. Therefore, I'm not on nanny duty until 14:00 most days which, for me, means mornings are my time to walk until I'm lost, discover a new boulangerie for the daily baguette, or stay under the covers for an extra hour after reading into the wee hours of the morning.  
 
Today I walked with Parisians through the Jardin du Luxembourg, which are exquisite gardens created in 1612 in the 6th arrondissement upon the initiative of Queen Marie de Medic. The gardens, which cover 25 hectares of land, are split into French gardens and English gardens. Between the two, lies a geometric forest and a large pond. There is also an orchard with a wide variety of apples and pears, an apiary where you can learn about bee-keeping and greenhouses with a collection of breathtaking orchids and a rose garden.

The garden has 106 statues spread throughout the park, the monumental Medici fountain, the Orangerie and the Pavillon Davioud. There are many activities and facilities for children such as puppets, rides and slides. Adults can play chess, tennis, table tennis, and bridge or remote control boats.

As I wandered through the grounds at 12:30, it was clearly an afternoon lunch break given the clusters of teens sitting unconventionally on park benches to maximize capacity as everyone nibbled on a Croque Monsieur.

Observing the Parisians today, I noticed, not only that they have made Croque Monsieurs the signature lunch item, but also that they sit down to enjoy their food (eating while walking is bad etiquette), they surround themselves with people, they talk quieter overall, and they do not pull out phones in public. They are lovely people. Brilliant people. Respectful people. And I have enjoyed learning their ways.           

Here is a look at my walk through the Gardens of Luxembourg:
 

 
 
The grand entrance to Luxembourg Gardens.




Clear instructions to stay off the grass. As I later discovered, guards are employed to blow a warning whistle at those who disobey this rule and then persistently chauffeur them from the grass onto the gravel pathway.




        Fountain of the Observatory       
 
 
 
Luxembourg Palace and Garden
 
 
 
At the Gardens there is a seat for everyone.
 
 
 
I finally decided to do like the Parisians and take time to relax.
 
 
 
My day ended beautifully with Ms. C. 
 
 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!!! I SO wish I could come visit you there! lol
    Ms. C's photo is precious in B&W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I SO would love a visit from you!! The two of us together in Paris would be fantastic. Think about it...

    ReplyDelete